Thursday, April 9, 2015

Oops.

  Unshaved, bathrobe, coffee.

  Yep. I’m unemployed.

  Hi there. I’m outta a job. Still getting my head around that one...

  I had a “cost inducing error of judgment” that blew out some equipment and cost the company some big bucks to replace. When the budget review came back, I was outsourced.

  Wife, kid, house, cars… all that and no cash.

  Not good.

  They’re thrilled too.

  Still, I don’t feel stressed out anymore.

  For the first time in a looooong time, I feel relaxed. It’s nice kicking back and letting the world pass by the window. I’m punching my own clock now.

  I’ve made a deal with the wife. She’s giving me 30 days to finish the book and farm it out. Then I’ve got to get back into the mainstream. The question of the day: Is it 30 days from right now or ’30 days’ ala ‘the end of this month’. I’m willing to place my bet on the latter.

  Word has it that things are tricky for new authors, so I’m going to give myself a couple of weeks to get the book done. Then it will carpet bomb every agent and publisher I can find. I was aiming on the 50k work novel goal. Now I might make due with any novella or whatever other book deal I might find. Anything is something at this stage of the game.

  If I still come up empty, then it is back to the old bump and grind of the ‘real world’. It’s nice when ‘love’ defines itself as a set cost-of-living-to-be-happy number. First I was the dreamboat, then I was the sperm bank. Now I’m the cash cow.

  At least I know my place in this little machine called home.

- I.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment